Wednesday 1 August 2007

The hills have I

OK, I’ll admit it’s been a while between drinks and I apologise, but let me explain. Let me make it up to you by publishing not one but two freshly baked blogs, full of country goodness.

One of the main reasons I’ve been away from the blog is because I am house sitting for a friend up in the hills, far from mod-cons such as an internet connection. As such I have been getting back to nature, standing on the deck feeding the wildlife, wandering the national park contemplating the trees and writing angry letters to the Herald Sun about “how good those folk in the city have got it”.

Another thing I have been doing is watching the sky, praying for rain. Yes, I’ve become one of those people, reliant on water from a rusty metal tank on the side of the house and hoping that all that precious rain is going where it should go. Forget carbon neutral, I’m hoping to be water neutral. “OK, so the tank was up to here when I arrived, if it’s above this level when I leave then I haven’t used any water.” It all makes sense.

Some other things that mark me as living in the hills are:

*My car – One hubcap is missing and it’s covered in dirt from the roads I have to drive to get here. The only inauthentic part is that it’s not a 4WD or a Commodore.

*Travelling distances – I’ve suddenly discovered that I need a real reason to go all the way to the big suburban shopping mall. “Do you know how far that is?” I’ve become the opposite of the inner city snob, the outer-hills snob. Heck, everything I need is right here at the general store (well Safeway actually).

*Axes and hatchets – Before this, the only time I used an axe or a hatchet was when I went camping. Now, with an open fire, I’m out there swinging those babies all the time. I’m thinking about getting me a plaid shirt and a buxom wench to bring me a scorched peanut bar (the hard bar).

I’ve also taken to greeting my neighbours in a friendly, straw in the mouth kind of fashion, as well as squinting suspiciously at strangers. We don’t take too kindly to them folks around these parts. Hmm, maybe I should get a banjo…

Anyway, that’s it for me. Until the other blog that will be right below this one. Cool huh?!

Laters.

J

1 comment:

Kimmiegirl said...

Melbourne has had a bad affect on your blog writing - disgruntled blogee