Tuesday 6 March 2007

A real wiseguy



Art imitates life which imitates art and so on. That's the idea anyway. In old European cities like Leuven there is plenty of art around, whether from actual "I don't know art but I know what I like" art, to a more broad definition of art, including architecture.
Now there's plenty of Architecture here and Sunday afternoons are the times to find the square full of tourists snapping pictures of the ornate and historic town hall and Gothic church. There is definitely a style in Dutch and Flemish architecture and Leuven is a Livin' example.
Recently I also discovered a statue near the town square. It's not overly historic but it's meaningful and some might say even artistic. This statue is officially titled Fons Sapientiae(Fountain of Knowledge) but is apparently known locally as Fonske. Fonske is not a particularly historical fellow, he was a gift to the town from the university, but he is much a part of the town as bellowing in the streets at two in the morning and running people down on your bicycle. It's safe to say that there are those who think that Fonske has some aesthetic, even artistic merit. As for me, I just cant help but think he looks like a certain comic book superhero. Here's what I mean:

Too Much Coffee Man, caffeine fuelled Superhero.


Fonske, AKA Too Much Wisdom Man, Statue.

A strange coincidence or something more sinister? OK so it's just a strange coincidence, but I guess in reality, when it comes to being a University student, when it comes time for exams a head full of coffee is the next best thing to a head full of wisdom. Then again I could be wrong, maybe this whole thing is just a monument to my stupidity.

So that's it for now, with apologies to Shannon Wheeler, creator of Too Much Coffee Man. Check out the web site for a fun read. See www.tmcm.com

Later.

No comments: